Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Health Update-Take 2

I know it has been a long time since my last post, sorry about that. My last post had me describing the symptoms of what would be diagnosed as Rheumatic Fever. YES! Lucky me, I get something that is rather uncommon in the US anymore due to antibiotics. The frustrating thing is that I would have gone to the doctor if I had been experiencing a cold I couldn't shake or a sore throat since RF is due to the strep virus not being treated but I had no symptoms.

My last blood work to see where the strep nightmare was number wise (ASO titers) showed it at 616 units/mL. That is down from 686 units/mL in April and 742 units/mL in March. Doctor doesn't seem to worried that the numbers aren't going down quickly, the important thing is they are going down. On my end it is frustrating as, those numbers are holding me back on other things.

Oh the other thing I get to do yearly is have an echo cardiogram, pretty much an ultrasound of the heart. RF can cause damage to the heart, so even though the illness itself can be short term it can have long lasting effects. I will admit this kind of excited me as I like seeing how the body works...I LOVED human anatomy in high school and college. However these things aren't cheap, and even with insurance our bill was 4 digits.

I was also told, I get to go to the doctor every time I get a sniffle or sore throat as flare ups can be bad. YIPPEE!!!! Lucky me huh.

No comments:

Post a Comment